Tiny – Dinting Railway Centre
In June 1947, the Manchester Corporation Gas Department ordered from Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co Ltd of Kilmarnock, a four-wheeled saddle tank locomotive for use at their Braford Road Gas Works.
Completed during early 1949, the locomotive was built to a standard Barclay design, but was delivered with additional extras. These included cupro-nickel boiler tubes, large diameter buffer heads, and a cab backplate and brake-handle casing. These together with other extras increased the price from £3600 to £4005.
Named R Walker, No. 2258 worked at Bradford Road for the next twenty years, the only noticeable modification being the larger windows fitted to the front of the cab.
The Locomotive was donated to the Society by the North West Gas Board in 1970, and arrived at the Dinting Railway Centre in June of that year.
Renamed Tiny, in recognition of its diminutive size and also the GCR 2-8-0s that were a common sight around Dinting, 2258 was steamed occasionally over the next four years until boiler repairs became necessary.
The repairs, and a repaint into a livery typical of the Great Eastern Railway, were not completed until 1981.
The engine had the distinction of being the last engine to operate at Dinting before closure in 1990.
Following its move to the KWVR, the engine was used occasionally until its boiler certificate expired in 1991.
The engine is currently on display at Ingrow Loco, and awaits major firebox repairs before it is able to operate once more.